What is a Pre-Masters?
A Pre-Masters is a preparation programme designed specifically to support international students for studying one of our Masters programmes.
You will study a combination of subject-specific modules alongside English language preparation, to enhance your study, employability and academic skills necessary to successfully progress in your undergraduate studies.
If you are looking to study a postgraduate degree but require additional support to meet the entry requirements or have not studied for a while, our Pre-Masters programmes are designed to give you extra preparation.
Benefits of studying a Pre-Masters
- Bridge the skills gap: designed to help you meet the required entry criteria for an MSc programme
- Prepare for postgraduate study: build core subject knowledge and boost your confidence and build academic skills, such as academic writing, critical thinking skills and understanding of research
- Develop your English language skills: improve your written and spoken English language skills
- Access to university learning support: you will have access to sessions facilitated by library staff on core academic skills and a wealth of online support materials readily available such as lecture recordings, webcasts or pre-recorded sessions
- Guaranteed progression: upon successful completion, you will be guaranteed a place on one of our postgraduate degrees in Newcastle or London (subject to a 50% pass rate)
- Available throughout the year: with start dates in September, January and May
Depending on your IELTS level. you will study either a one-semester or two-semester programme:
- 5.5 with no single element below 5.5, or equivalent, will study the 2-semester Graduate Diploma
- 6.0 with no single element below 5.5, or equivalent, will study the 1-semester Graduate Certificate
We currently offer Pre-Masters in Business, Pre-Masters in Computing and Pre-Masters in Engineering. Upon successful completion, you will be guaranteed progression onto one of our postgraduate programmes. Progression options also include Masters with Advanced Practice.
For a full list of progression options, visit the Progression Degrees page.